I use my bone broth in any recipe that asks for stock or broth because it produces such an amazing flavor. Plus it makes the dish super healthy. Lamb and spring vegetables are a great match for bone broth too.
Let me know what you think. I’d love to hear back. If you want you could substitute beef chuck instead of the lamb.
RAGOUT OF LAMB AND SPRING VEGETABLES WITH FARRO
- 4 Sprigs of Oregano and Thyme each
- 2 Sprigs of Rosemary
- 2 Bay Leaves
- ¼ c. Olive Oil plus more
- 2 lbs of Lamb Shoulder or Beef Chuck, cut into 1” pieces
- Kosher salt and ground pepper
- 8 oz Pearl Onions peeled
- 4 Garlic Cloves sliced (I personally like a lot of garlic…so go for it )
- 2 Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar (I use a gourmet vinegar like the ones you get at the olive oil store)
- 1 cup. Dry Red Wine
- 6 cups Beths Bountiful Bone Broth Beef
- 1 cup Farro or Wheat Berries, rinsed
- 1 ¾ lb. Turnips, trimmed, scrubbed, halved if large
- 1 bunch asparagus trimmed (I like to break off the end and then I use a carrot peeler to trim up the sides…but that’s me, a little over the top)
- 2 cups Frozen Peas
- 1 bunch dandelion leaves (optional) you can also use flat leaf parsley
- Tie together oregano, thyme, rosemary and bay leaf with kitchen twine.
- Heat ¼ cup of olive in a heavy pot over medium high heat. Season the lamb or chuck with salt and pepper. Working in batches cooking, turning occasionally until lightly browned, 12-15 minutes per batch. Transfer to a plate as you go.
- Add the pearl onions to the pot and stir to coat. Season with salt and pepper and cook until starting to brown, about 4 minutes. Stir in garlic, cook 30 seconds before addition vinegar. Cook, scraping up browned bits, until syrupy, about 1 minute.
- Add wine, bring to a boil and cook until reduced by about one fourth, about 4 minutes. Add broth, lamb or chuck and herb bundle. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer gently, partially covered until lamb is tender, approximately 75-85 minutes.
- Stir in Farro and cook until nearly al dente, about 15-20 minutes. Remove herb bundle and add turnips. Cook until Farro is cooked through and turnips and tender and lamb is almost falling apart, 30-40 minutes. Mix in asparagus and peas and cook for 2 minutes. Add greens and stir to wilt. Season with salt and pepper. Serve drizzled with oil.